Friday, June 26, 2009

I'm with the Help Desk and I'm Here to Help

The company I work for recently converted all employee telephone communications from traditional wireline service to voice over IP. We now make and recieve voice calls using our PC and Microsoft Office Communicator. It actually works quite well, and the transition was far less painful than anyone thought it would be. There were a few issues. One that was especially Dilbertesque happened to a member of my team. The conversation with the internal help desk went like this:
  • My employee on day 1: My new phone number doesn't work when people outside our system try to call me.
  • Help desk on day 2: We resolved this issue by giving you a new phone number.
  • My employee on day 2: What is my new phone number?
  • Help desk on day 3: We resolved the issue of you not knowing your phone number by giving you back your old phone number.

Wasn't that the number with original problem?

The story had a happy ending on day 4 when he was assigned and informed of a new number that worked correctly.

1 comment: