Monday, December 10, 2012

I Like to Listen - GP&N


In my opinion, 2012 has been a dry year for new musical talent.  I guess the Civil Wars would be the only exception, and what a disappointment they turned out to be.  However, I did discover an artist that is new to me.

It started late last year during a country music award show.  I typically don’t watch the Kenny Chesney performances, but rather take the opportunity to visit the commode or grab something from the refrigerator.  But I was late getting off the couch and once I heard Kenny and this blond named Grace Potter start singing “You and Tequila”, I couldn’t get up.



 
I am not a Chesney fan, but together their sound was unique.  Not to mention Grace Potter plays guitar well.  Not to mention it is hard to miss her legs.

So a couple weeks later, “You and Tequila” was still queuing up in my head every few days, so I decide to see if Grace Potter is an established musician, or just a Chesney acquaintance who sat in on a song.  A quick search of You Tube made it apparent that Grace Potter is a musician in her own right, and has a band called the Nocturnals.  What I found surprising is that Grace Potter and the Nocturnals are not country.  Her range is broad, and includes ZZ Top, Rolling Stones, Jefferson Airplane, Fleetwod Mac and Gillian Welch cover songs.  If I were to guess, Grace seems to have roots in Blues music, while the Nocturnals were born and raised as hard rockers.  Occasionally they pick up their acoustic guitars and sound a little county, but that is the exception.  GP&N music is mostly rock with the occasional ballad.  I really like the sound.

I then find that GP&N are coming to the Uptown Theater in Kansas City in October.

 –T was willing, so I bought tickets.  The Uptown is a 1920’s era movie theater that has become a concert-only venue for many years.  Acts that play the Uptown are those who can’t yet fill an arena, and have outgrown bars.  Acoustically, the Uptown sucks.  The domed ceiling ensures that every note from every instrument is focused at your head and arrives at many different times.  The sound board staff compensates for this phenomena by cranking the volume up a little higher.  –T listened to the concert through earplugs and said it sounded okay.  I listened to it without earplugs.  It was painful at times, but I didn’t mind so much after my ears quit bleeding. 

Two weeks later, AXS TV provided a live concert of GP&N from Stubbs BBQ in Austin Texas.  Same tour, same set list, better acoustics on my Bose 3.2.1.  I watched it live and recorded it on my DVR.  Since then, -T and I have watched it twice more and I still can’t bring myself to delete the recording.  GP&N start with songs from their new record, “The Lion, the Beast and the Beat”, and then play a couple of older ballads, “Stars” and “Apology”.  The ballads showcase Grace Potter’s world class voice and writing ability.  She is knocking on the door of the  exclusive Write-Sing-Play club. 

After a few rock numbers, the most compelling vocal of the night was delivered in "Big White Gate", a song short on theology, but rich in smokey, bluesy vocals.  At the end, you just have to say "Wow, that was good".  The encore continues with a rock number "Stop the Bus" and "Medicine" where all band members end up beating on one drum set.  The night concluded the GP&N encore signature – “Nothing but the Water I &II”.  “Nothing but the Water I” features Potter, sometimes acapella and at others just her and an electric slide guitar – either version her sterling voice silences the crowd. “Nothing but the Water II” immediately follows and is about the best feel good encore song I have witnessed.   

 



If music artists sold stock, I would be a buyer.  GP&N have a lot going for them.  The first thing I noticed is they all seem to be having fun.  It’s not just a 2 hour a night job.  Each band member looks like they are doing exactly what they want to be doing.  The second thing noticed is just how physically demanding their concerts are.  The band is in constant motion.  Potter especially uses the time for an intense aerobic workout, dancing and head banging through each song.  Finally, the music is substantial.  Lyrics have a meaning - nothing sappy or too heavy.  And Potter may be the best female rock vocalist in the business.  Her vocals trigger memories of Janis Joplin, Grace Slick and Nancy Wilson.  She is that good.

No comments:

Post a Comment