Thursday, November 22, 2012

Thanksgiving Traditions

Traditions in general are dying.  I go to a church that replaced the traditional organ with electric guitars, and a steepled building with a movie theater.   I wear jeans to work fairly often as traditional business attire has almost vanished.  Thanksgiving hasn't been spared.  Today, many businesses will open in the evening to get a head start on Black Friday.  The traditional turkey dinner will live at my family's gathering, but in many homes, turkey has been replaced by barbeque, prime rib, or another dish. 

I wonder if traditions are really that important?  My gut tells me that tradition for tradition's sake is not a good enough reason.  Turkey and thankfulness is all that remains from the original Thanksgiving, but today football is as much of a modern Thanksgiving tradition as anything else.  New traditions form and replace or augment old traditions.  There is nothing wrong with that.  I like the electric guitars, a theater setting, jeans at work, and prime rib Thanksgiving dinners.  They may soon become the traditions of our children.

I am not crazy about the new Thanksgiving shopping opportunities, but that may just be an old Carpe Dealum wound.  I do sympathize with the retail workers who must sacrifice their Thanksgiving for a wholly commercial purpose.  I hope their voices are heard this year, but in the end, the consumer owns it.  If we shop, this will also become a tradition.  If we don't, it won't.

The only Thanksgiving tradition that should never wane is the reflection and thankful spirit the holiday should encourage in all of us.  We have so much to be thankful for.  I have nobody in my circle of family and friends who will go to bed hungry tonight.  The poorest of our neighbors are rich when compared to much of the world, or even American life just a few decades ago.

Thanksgiving comes this year just in time.  I have been discouraged by the state of our nation, yet, there is none other to which I would rather hold citizenship.  In the midst of our national bickering and polarization, there is a sense that we will be fine - that we are not in control - there is a greater purpose.  We are a blessed nation just as I belong to a blessed family.  Our basic needs are met and we have a few bucks left over to spend and to give.  I have a wife, two daughters and three grandchildren that I have done nothing to deserve. Life is good and I am thankful.

I wish you and your family a happy Thanksgiving.

1 comment:

  1. great post UFrank. Read it out loud to Mom, Dad, and Kels while the boys are away getting our furbabies.

    HAPPY THANKSGIVING!

    ReplyDelete