Monday, September 19, 2011

Fair share?

Reid, Obama, Pelosi, et al. I hear them continually saying that we must raise revenue for the federal government by making the rich pay their fair share. I vomit a little in the back of my mouth. If they truly believed their statement, they would propose a different plan.

Half of Americans pay no federal income tax. The top 1% pay 38% of federal revenues while earning only 19% of total income. I agree with Reid, Obama and Pelosi and take it one step farther - everyone should pay a fair share. Do the poor use our highways? Do they benefit from the defense of our nation? Do they claim the benefits of being an American citizen? All do, most more than others. They should pay their fair share. The rich already do.

Which politician will state the obvious? Every person who earns income should pay taxes. I don't care if it is just a token payment. 1% is better than nothing. That is the way you raise revenue fairly. The first candidate to support that position gets my vote.

No comments:

Post a Comment